Friday, October 17, 2008

Living with a Dominant Rabbit (Part II)


For the first few weeks after Dusty came to live with me, I was still uncertain if I was going to keep her. My sister (who was also working at the same hotel) wanted me to keep her but I was not convinced.
I had to go to the store the first day and get all the supplies. Rabbit pellets, a corner bucket for litter, wood shavings and water bottle. I studied everything I could about diet and care of rabbits. When I was at home, Dusty would stay in the kitchen/hallway. I would shut the door to the living room, bathroom and bedroom. She settled in very quickly and made herself right at home.
At first I would just sit on a chair and look at her in amazement. She did pee on the floor a great deal and the mop was never far from my hands. Finally the litter bucket was used more and more (or Dusty would have gone to the human society). I can deal with the bunny poop, but the pee has to go in the litter bucket!
At night and when I was at work, Dusty had to stay in a large dog kennel. She was never very happy to go in, but I did not know what a rabbit could do when no one was looking. It was good to be cautious because she could jump higher than I ever imagined. She even managed to jump on my counter when I was in the other room.
After a few weeks I decided that Dusty might be happy living on my balcony (4Th floor) at night and when I was away. I bought some chicken wire and blocked off half the balcony (approx. 4 x 18 ft total size). She never tried to go under the glass railing but she would try everything to get under the chicken wire. I had to find new ways to keep her in the contained space. It was a perfect solution. She was happy on the balcony and when I was home, she would come inside.
It took a few months to for us to establish a relationship, but eventually we became friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww what a nice story! After what she had been through,left out on the streets alone.. it must have been hard for Dusty to trust humans again. But you won her over :D You're a great bunny person!

Bean lets you hold him for head rubs! That's so nice.. mine only allow head rubs if they're safe on the ground. A little train chugging.. that sounds like it could be honking.. Bean's a happy bun! I have another video where Hans' honks are louder, but the video is extremely dark so I didn't put it up on the blog. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3n2CK2CL4

Hope you can hear the honks!